I think Cheesecake is always a love hate thing for me. Love? What's not to love? It's creamy, luscious and such a comfort food on lousy days, or any other day, haha! Hate? It's highly packed with fats and calories! Eating it is just simply diet ruining, haha! So that is why you do not see me baking cheesecake that often. But...this pumpkin flavor cheesecake has been on my mind like...forever! I ever heard a DJ on the radio commenting that the best cheesecake has gotta be pumpkin cheesecake. Really? Gosh? Why in the world have I not baked it yet or even taste it before! But that diet thing came in and I just put it aside. :P Procrastination took over....only after 3 months did I finally baked it! Boy oh boy was I regretful...Pumpkin cheesecake is the BOMB!
Don't you just love that golden "sun"! I was surprise how creamy and delicious this cheesecake turned out to be! Even if you are not a fan of pumpkin itself, you will fall in love with this, really! Very faint pumpkin taste but you know it is there. One thing to note though is to choose good pumpkins namely from Japan or the least from Australia. I particularly love pumpkins from Japan...their much smoother, creamier and sweeter too! I even eat the skin when it is washed properly and soft enough, haha! :D
Ingredients for Pumpkin Cheese Cake (makes a 6" by ~2.5" round)Cookie Base:
137g Oreo cookies (1 tube pack), finely crushed/blend
40g unsalted butter, melted
- Finely blend or crushed the oreo cookies together with the cream into fine crumbs.
- Add the melted butter in and mix well.
- Press the cookie mixture into a greased 6" (removal base) round cake pan, making sure it is evenly spread out and leveled.
- Wrap the whole cake pan with heavy duty aluminum foil for water bath baking later. Chill in fridge till needed.
200g pumpkin, peeled, cut into smaller chunks
- Roast the pumpkin chunks in the oven at 200C for 20minutes or more till it is fork tender. Alternatively, you can steam your pumpkin at medium fire for 15 minutes. Personally I like roasting it because I think it brings out the taste of pumpkin more.
70g caster sugar
2 large eggs
70g sour cream
100ml heavy cream
25g cornflour or Hong Kong flour
- Preheat the oven to 180C and prep a water bath for baking.
- In a mixer, beat the cream cheese, roasted puréed pumpkin and caster sugar till light and creamy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time till everything is nicely incorporated.
- Next add in the sour cream and heavy cream to the mixture and mix at low speed till all is well combined and no lumps.
- Lastly sieve in the flour and mix well till no visible flour.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture into the prepared cake pan with the chilled cookie base.
- Using a tooth pick to swirl around the batter making sure there are no trapped air bubbles.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180C for 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 155C and continue to bake for another 50 minutes (or till the surface is not wobbly any more)
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours or better yet overnight in the fridge. Serve cold and enjoy!
It is so so important that you wrap the base of the cake pan properly with double duty aluminum foil! I cannot stress this enough because once the water from the water bath sips in...the cookie base will become soggy! What a waste! So remember, do not assume..double check and make sure you have wrap it properly. :)
Okay folks, gotta run and cut this short...have a great week everyone!