Using black sesame (paste / powder) to bake a loaf of bread has been a much awaited item on my bake list. I can already imagine how fragrant the nutty sesame aroma the bread will be. However, I just didn't get to it for the longest time. Its either I forgotten to prepare the pre-fermented dough or I have some root vegetables to use up first. But being the bread craze me, I knew I just can't put off any longer...and finally yesterday I got to bake it. Behold, my Black Sesame Bread loaf! And its vegetarian too since no eggs needed, nice!
Baking bread is such a therapeutic thing for me. I totally love the whole process of preparing the dough, shaping and baking it. And after baking so many different loaves of bread, some how I learn to detect whether the dough will yield a good texture....wonder if you have experience that. Some dough can be so elastic and yet it doesn't stick to your hand...you know this is gonna be an excellent texture. And this Black Sesame Loaf is exactly that. It was able to reach a very elastic stage reaching a very thin window panel without tearing.
The bread emit a nice nutty scent after its out from the oven. I opted to use black sesame paste as to black sesame powder but it still turn out great. Best of all, the texture is really good...one of the best that I have come across apart from the 17hr pre-ferment technique. It is so soft and literally melt in the mouth...really.
It's probably quite hard to convince you all with just shades of gray. (-_-)" But hope you can see the nice texture it formed. I am actually looking forward to baking this bread again even though I just did yesterday, lol! I have modified the recipe to suit just my family, a loaf plus a few buns. Feel free to change it proportionally to your own needs.
250g bread flour
3g instant dry yeast
- Knead everything together till it forms a soft pliable dough. No need to be smooth. Divde dough into 50g or100g portions depending on your needs and let chill in fridge up to 12 hours. Alternatively store in freezer up to 3 months.
Ingredients for Black Sesame Bread Loaf (makes one 9x4x5" plus 3 to 4 buns)
100g pre-fermented dough
365g bread flour
35g black sesame paste
6g instant active dry yeast
12g milk powder
50g caster sugar
32g unsalted butter, room temperature
- Knead all ingredients of the main dough together, except the butter. Add pre-ferment dough piece by piece. Knead after each addition until soft and smooth. Add butter. Knead until stretchable and pass the window panel consistency.
- Put the dough into a big bowl. Cover with cling wrap and let it prove for 30minutes till double.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions. Flatten each portion with your hands to drive the air out. Roll it into square shape, cover and let rest for 20 minutes before shaping.
- Flatten the dough to drive the air out. Roll each out into a rectangular sheet with a rolling pin. Fold about 2cm from both sides towards the center and roll it out again. Roll the dough up like swiss roll (the width should be the same as the tin) and out them into the mould. Repeat for the rest of the dough portions. Cover with cling wrap.
- Let it prove for about 45 minutes or until the dough has risen to 80 to 90% of the depth of the loaf tin. You can either cover the lid or bake it open top. I omitted the egg wash to make it pure vegetarian version. Bake in 175C for 30 to 35minutes.
Be sure to find a day which allows you to have ample time to work on this bread. Also try to prepare the pre-fermented dough at least a day before. If you choose to use black sesame powder instead, remember to reduce the bread flour to about 330g (see as per needed). Also note that this dough is quite wet and sticky, it does require a slightly longer time to knead. Be patient, knead well and you will be rewarded.
I made some dried cranberry & cream cheese filled buns and my kids loved them. Much like those sold at you know where...
Hope this healthy and delicious bread will be on your bake list. Let me know how yours turn out. (^o^) Okay, that's all I have for you all today. Thanks again for staying with me. Have a great day! Cheers!