Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Matcha Buns with Cream Cheese & Red Bean Paste

I have been much too engrossed with other stuff around my life and kind of neglecting my blog for the past week. Although I am still actively baking every other day (if not everyday), I just can't find time to just seat down and post it up. I didn't even go blog hopping lately. Worst would be not answering the valuable comments you folks left for me! *sorry* So my dear fellow blogger and readers, if you don't see me responding or dropping by with comments, hope you'll understand. :P Life's a rat race! Maybe I'm slowly loosing it? Interest I mean. Seriously hope not, lol! Anyway, I tell myself I have better post up something today before I get diverted again. Furthermore, I still have like 8 to 10 backlogs yet to be posted up...arrggghh!:P

Today's bake to share is Matcha Buns with Cream Cheese & Red Bean Paste. :) I know, so unusual isn't it, lol! The bread dough is actually using the 17hr pre-fermented dough method. But as for the filling, it is so impromptu, lol! But guess what, it actually works and taste pretty good. :))
I have originally wanted to use just plain red bean paste as the filling. But I wanted something to offset the sweetness of the red bean paste. And I didn't want to use the same recipe as my Matcha Buns with Mochi & Red Bean Paste post. Suddenly the word "Cheese" from this month's Aspiring Baker's theme pop in my mind! Of course, cream cheese! The slightly salty, tangy taste of the cheese will offset the sweetness from the red bean nicely, right?
I know, some of you folks must be going like "Ai ye, red bean is so Chinese and cream cheese is so western...how to mix together? Something wrong!" Well, you won't really know until you tried it yourself isn't it? *tee tee hee* Okay, even if you are not too keen on the filling, the bread is still a good recipe to try out. It's from "Natural Breads Made Easy" (Chinese is "天然麵面包"). Here it is with slight adjustment from the book:

Ingredients for Matcha Buns with Cream Cheese & Red bean Paste
Pre-ferment Dough:
243g bread flour
139ml water
7g instant active yeast
3.5g sea salt
7g skim milk powder


  • Mix everything together until it comes together to form a pliable dough. Place in zip log and let it chill in the fridge up to 17hrs before use.
Main Dough:
104g bread flour
32ml fresh heavy cream
10g matcha powder
3.5g sea salt
52g soft brown sugar

40ml water

36g beaten whole egg
3.5g active instant yeast

18g unsalted butter, room temperature

Filling:
Red Bean Paste
Cream Cheese (beaten till smooth)


Method:

  • Knead all ingredients of the main dough together, except the butter. Add pre-ferment dough piece by piece. Knead after each addition until soft and smooth. Add butter. Knead until stretchable consistency.
  • Put the dough into a big bowl. Cover with cling wrap and let it prove for 30 to 45 minutes till double.
  • Divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Flatten each portion with your hands to drive the air out. Roll it into square shape, cover and let rest for 20 minutes before shaping.
  • Using a rolling pin, roll out a portion of the dough flat (thinner on the side) and place 1 tbsp of red bean paste in the center. Then cut about 1/2 tbsp of cream cheese and place it on top of the sweet paste. Seal the dough up nicely and place it on a greased baking tray or small round mould like what I used. Repeat till all the dough are filled and sealed nicely. Sprinkle some black sesame seeds on top of those buns. Cover and let proof for another 15 to 20 minutes before baking.
  • Preheat the oven to 180C .
  • Brush the mini buns with egg wash and bake in the oven for 12 to 14 minutes till golden brown on the surface.
Personally I loved the outcome of this buns. *thick skin* It was very satisfying and delicious. The bread was still soft the next couple days, like any other 17hr pre-fermented dough method recipe. :)
A look at the fluffy soft inside with the creamy sweet filling....yum yum! :D Since I still have a portion of the pre-fermented dough in the fridge, I think I'll be making another set of buns again later...maybe with black sesame paste this time. :) Hope you all will be tempted too.
I will submit this post to
Aspiring Bakers #6: Say Cheese! (April 2011) hosted by Jean from Noms I Must. Thanks for hosting Jean!

Will be away for a week. Hopefully when I get back I will post up all my backlogs! *unlikely, lol!* Have a good one all!

18 comments:

E. said...

Please don't lose interest. :D I always look forward to your posts. But take your time, I know what it feels like because I have around 10 backlogs too.... choosing all the pictures and writing up the posts is taking much longer than it is for me to go to the kitchen and bake something. I'm sooo behind right now. lol Anyway, I'm glad to see another bread post. It looks delicious as always. I can't wait to try out the method of pre-fermented dough. I made my first starter dough today for mantou though. :D Have a good week!

Jean said...

wow looks fluffy and soft! love the adorably shaped buns as well. they look like cartoon jellyfishes hehe

hanushi said...

Your buns has such a nice green hue, look so soft... Yum yum... :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

ya, the combination of cream cheese and red bean sound interesting, just curious the taste. please send some for me to taste as I lazy to making bread,hehehe..

ReeseKitchen said...

Hey fren, your buns and breads always taste the best to me!! Seriously!! If you say this fillings is nice, definitely its yummy!
Have a save trip and see you soon...:)

j3ss kitch3n said...

looks so light and fluffy i love the fillings!

Anonymous said...

look so soft! recipe bookmark :D

Edith said...

I would love to have this but unfortunately my kids don't like red bean. haiz.

lena said...

nothing's wrong with this unique combination, even pastry chefs are also coming up with east west combination. Their shapes are nice too! see u next week!

My Little Space said...

Great combination, Bee! I would love to take a big bite on it too. Must be very tasty delicious. Thanks for sharing another lovely bread recipe. Have a lovely evening.
Good night,
Kristy

ann low said...

Your red bean buns look so perfect. I would like to have some for tomorrow breakfast :)

The Sweetylicious said...

is not crazy at all! i think you're super CREATIVE and the combination sounds good! (: the bread look so soft and YUMMY! (:

Your #1 Fan said...

Haha. Totally understand what you are going through but I am sure we're always glad to read any post from you.
The buns look amazing. Bookmarked. Will try out the pre-fermented dough method. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I think I am just too lazy to make my own bread. Can I please have some please?? Hhehe... Your bread's colour is so nice ! Thanks for sharing and I really look forward to your next post.

Zoe said...

Don't worry too much for not doing enough for your blog. In fact, you did very well and I think I'm very much worse than you...

These buns sound like another great recipe to try. I'll bookmark this and make these buns too.

emy said...

I am sure bloggers would understand -- likewise, I've been very lax with my blogging for the last few months.

Wish I can bake breads...just haven't mustered enough courage to attempt them.

Angie's Recipes said...

Yummy! I love the combination of cheese and red bean as the filling.

Jo said...

What a delicious combination and the buns look gorgeous.