Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Anniversay Dinner @La Folie

Just Friday, I had the opportunity to attend a lovely wedding from my husband side of the family. Frankly speaking, it's been years since I last attended a wedding dinner and I actually had a good time. Reason was moments during the dinner I was actually brought back to the sweet memories of my own wedding. :) The opening walk down the dinning hall, filling the pyramid of champagne glasses, grand toast on the stage with our family and friends. Although it's been so long, it still fresh in my mind how wonderful it has been. Back to the wedding I attended, I had a pleasant surprise!. It was the gift for the guests...I almost felt that it's made for me, lol!
Sweet isn't it? I'm lovin' it! Let me write out the engrave words : A heap of love; A spoonful of affection; A dash of tenderness; A pinch of joy. :) I guess all these do contribute to a good marriage, agree? If you haven't notice, the spoons are in the shape of a heart, so cute. With this new tool, I hope my bakes will be baked with more love and care. :)

Incidentally, it's me and my husband's wedding anniversary this month. We are fortunate enough to celebrate our anniversary during our recent trip in California at a nice French restaurant call La Folie in downtown San Francisco. This is a lovely restaurant that we have already been 3 times and still enjoy every time we dine there. Although the last time we dine at La Folie was about 7 years ago, I still have fond memories of the food I had there.
The restaurant ambience was nice and romantic. I actually made reservations weeks ahead and they gave us a nice window table. :) The servers were really friendly and patient, which made the whole experience better.
May I add that the french loaf was super yummy! The crunch when you tear into it was like a music to my ears! ;D Wish I am able to make such delicious loaf next time. :)
We were first served a couple complimentary starters from the chef (how nice). The first one was this Wagyu Beef Tartar served like a crostini style. Taste? Not bad. :)

Next complimentary starter was this Whipped pastis egg contains a poached egg yolk topped with a strip of chive and a dollop of sherry vinegar-whipped cream. The cream topping is drizzled with a touch of maple syrup and garnished with fleur de sel. I like this one...perhaps because I love the taste of soft boil egg But with the rest of the flavors combined...super-yum!

My husband ordered this Hudson Valley Fore Gras, meaning goose/duck liver in plain English. That gamey taste is actually quite good plus the soft, smooth texture makes it slowly melt in your mouth, excellent. :)

For me, the actual liver is a wee bit overwhelming for me. I much prefer the pate version., so I ordered the above If you ask me how it taste like....I would say "it taste like butter, fore gras butter!"
My main entree is Butter Poached Lobster over English Pea Ravioli, topped with shaved Asparagus and almond salad. It is very good! I love the lobster together with the pea ravioli...it compliments each other very well.
My hubby ordered Lobster and Morel Mushroom Risotto in Asparagus and Lobster broth. It's so good too! The creamy risotto is so flavorful!

This small little dish containing Hibiscus ice shavings over cardamon pana cotta. It's actually a palette "cleanser" before our desert arrives...interesting. But the Hibiscus is like Ribena but more on the sour side. The pana cotta was silky and blends well with the citrus shaving.

My husband's desert, Valrohna Chocolate bread pudding with Champagne Sabayon (the sauce) and petite Strawberry Sorbet sandwiched between 2 caramel squares. I give it an 101 score....love the strawberry sorbet....so creamy even though it's sorbet!
My Warm Bittersweet Chocolate Fondant cake...reminds me of mine, that is why I ordered it to taste the real thing! It is indeed heavenly! The soft gooey inside the fondant plus the creme anglaise sauce was perfecto! However the brandy cured dried fruits were a bit strong for me...good thing my husband devour them, lol!
Some sweet bites to end the meal...compliments from the chef again. I enjoyed it all so much! If only I am not so full...I would have gone for more food! Wonder if the head chef is taking in any apprentice, lol!

Overall I felt pampered and satisfied....an excellent dinner with my best man....what more can I ask for, for our wedding anniversary?! If you do go by San Francisco downtown, check out La Folie...I am sure they will not fail to impress you.

La Folie website

2316 Polk Street, San Francisco, CA
(located between Green & Union)
415-776-5577 e-mail: lafoliep@aol.com


Meant to put up a recipe at the end of this post...but after looking at this super long post...I thought better not! I promise I will put up in my next post soon...thanks for coming by with me to La Folie! You all have a great week ahead!



18 comments:

Quinn said...

Awwwww HBS, I don't really know what to say but I felt I must comment on how sweet and loving you two are and to have good food to pair with such grand occasion is a match made in heaven. My Aaron is not a romantic guy so the only thing he could make me happy is we both go out and enjoy kick ass good food. All the food looks amazingly good. If I ever run out if idea to plate, I'd come back to this post for inspiration, so much to learn from and apart from the food...there is a lot to learn too in cherishing your better half. You two have sure come a long, long long way.

Happy Anniversary to you and your lucky man HBS!!!!

Bakericious said...

Hi HBS, happy belated anniversary! What a sumptuous meal u had, I am drooling over all the dishes esp dessert. I love the spoons as well, how come the wedding I attend dun give me this :( :P!

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Bee,
It's so sweet to receive this lovely gift! It meant so much especially for those who has been through a marriage will know how important that meant to be. Wedding is just a beginning :)

WendyinKK said...

I'll be happy if only my husband will buy me a cake for my birthday, not to mention flowers or do arrangements for a dinner.
Anniversaries, what's that????

Sigh, I so envy you. He says, why you need me to buy you stuff, go take money and buy whatever you want. Hahahaha, he's too too practical. 100% technical fella.

ReeseKitchen said...

Hey, what a nice dinner you had for your anniversary..:) Hmm...wonder what I'll have for mine this year end..haha! Got to show Ben this post of yours..;p
Btw, a very nice and lovely gift from the wedding dinner, its really meant for you..;)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Quinn, seeing your comment made me felt better about not posting up a recipe, lol! You know, I always feel that I am the lucky one. :) BTW, saw your Dulce De Leche post and immediately went to made some myself! I have been waiting and waiting, for what I'm not sure. But seeing you made it just motivated me to make it right away. Now awaiting for it to cool, hopefully it'll turn out as nice as yours!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Jess! I have been to La Folie thrice and always happy with it. Yes, lovely spoons! Wish I have more then just 1, hahaha!

Thanks Grace. :) You are so wise to say that Wedding is just the beginning! Indeed it's a lifetime journey and it takes both parties to complete it. And it is totally up to oneself to make it a great one. :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi Wendy,
I am sure your lou kong loves you more then you know it! The fact that he say buy whatever you want is a form of affection! ;) And I am sure you marry him for what he is right? Technical guy or not, he's still the guy who made you say yes....happy marriage to you!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Heehee, Reese, I am so sure you will have a super time with Ben when your anniversary comes. Don't have to show him larr...I am sure when you ask him for the stars above, he'll try to get it for you. ;)

Angie's Recipes said...

Happy Anniversary!
The food look truly dandy!

pigpigscorner said...

aww that's so sweet! I love the spoons!

Quinn said...

Ohhh, you made that Dulce de Leche too???? I am still procrastinating on what to make with it though I did suggest a few recipes but as of now, I have been eating it off from a spoon everyday for breakfast!!!! It's fail proof, yours will look good too, if not better than mine!

Unknown said...

Happy Belated Anniversary... The spoon is so special

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Angie. :)

Thanks pigpigscorner! Yeah...love the spoons too. Now why didn't I think of giving that when I got married?!?

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Quinn~ I double-boiled the condensed milk for 3 hours 10 mins and my Dulce de Leche was already quite thick! Think yours looks smoother and silkier. ;) I have transferred mine into a glass container and like you, procrastinating what should I use it for. Hahaha...think I can't bring myself to take a spoonful of Dulce de Leche for breakfast, think I'm getting old, thus my sweet tooth is getting smaller! Will use it in my baking...soon! Make some more my friend...soccer heat is still on and you will still have time to burnt at home, heehee. :D

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks neyeeloh!

Pei-Lin said...

Bee Bee, this is such a romantic and FRENCH post! Haha! Getting French in the middle of California! Haha!

I love the idea of cardamom in panna cotta! That hibiscus sauce is an interesting one ... Never heard of that though I'd tried hibiscus tea in Minnesota. Thanks for the dessert idea!

Man, I wonder if I'll ever meet the Mr. Right of my life ... If I'll ever get showered with love and attention ... If I do ever get married, I hope he's a guy with a HUGE sweet tooth like mine who's also an adventurous eater! Who loves baking and cooking, too! Haha! I'm so a dreamer-cum-perfectionist! Dang!

Hope to see you REAL SOON! *Crossing fingers*

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Pei-Lin,
I enjoy fine French food, but rarely indulge in it. :)American fine dinning is the usual boiled lobster and steak, not really that fantastic, lol. :D Yes, I hope to meet up with you soon. Take care!