What do you do when you need some comfort. Something to fill that emptiness or a "quick fix" for that boredom. The easiest for me would be to hug my love ones, especially to my little girls, stealing a kiss on their cheeks. ;) Else food would usually be the next candidate. :D What is your comfort food? Sad to say, junk food are usually the ones that can satisfy one's need for comfort the most! Like ice-cream, potato chips and even something spicy like tom yam soup! The list goes on and on. One of my all time favorite comfort food (which I believe is also many of you out there) is chocolate. That is what I will reach for when I need that rich, dark but sweet, creamy, satisfying, melt in your mouth feeling. So I salute the Mayans for discovering cacao trees! It's no surprise that I like everything chocolate(dark chocolate to be specific), so this time I decided to try out yet another chocolate desert, S'more brownies! Yum-O!Doesn't look all that pretty I know, but it is a really good chocolate desert I can assure you that! ;) I found this wonderful recipe from Joy The Baker whom got it from Bon Appetite magazine (not sure which edition). For those who doesn't know what is S'mores, click on this link to read more about it. ;) I love S'mores! And this is not the first time I made S'more deserts, check out my S'more cupcakes here.
I did modified the recipe a little to adjust to my taste, basically less sweet more chocolate. For my own reference, here it is:
Ingredients for S’more Brownies:100g all purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
135g unsalted butter
140g quality dark chocolate, chopped
2 large eggs + 1 egg white
125g dark brown sugar
100g granulated sugar
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup graham cracker, roughly crushed with your hands
12 big marshmallows
- Place chopped chocolate and butter in a heat proof bowl and place over simmering water to double boil. Stir well till everything has melted and smooth. Let cool and set aside.
- Grease a 20cm by 20cm square baking pan and line with parchment. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and both suagrs together till well blended. Add vanilla and mix again. Add in the cooled chocolate mixture and mix well till combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt into the mixture and mix till just combined.
- Lastly, add in the graham crackers into the batter and gently fold in with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and place the 12 marshmallows over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes till the marshmallow is golden brown and puffed up. The tester should come out with moist cake crumbs as we should never overbaked a brownie. ;)