This post has been delayed for quite some time now and I definitely feel I owe my Instagram readers this recipe. I cooked this dish awhile back on experimental mode and luckily it turned out great. So when I had it up on my IG, I was surprise to see so many people were keen on learning how to cook this dish. Ah yes, the famous question " Can you share the recipe please?" So tonight I cooked it again, captured all the necessary info and ready to share with everyone this time. :)
This dish not only can be served on chinese dinner table, but by changing the gravy sauce you drench over it, you can serve it as a main course on its own. Versatile right? The first time I ever come across this dish was when I was in California watching Food Network show where the chef did a similar dish but she baked the cabbage rolls...if I remember it correctly. There was even rice stuffed in the cabbage and tomato BBQ like sauce to go with it. Then again, that would be another experiment, on another post. Look out for it! :)
Let's talk about this Steamed Stuffed Meat Cabbage Roll now:
7-8 Napa cabbage leaf, preferably big ones
250 g minced pork (or chicken)
2 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked and chopped smal
3 tiger prawns, peeled and deveined
1 tbsp finely grated ginger
2 tbsp finely grated carrot
3 tbsp fried shallots (optional, but adds on a lot of fragrance)
1/2 tsp white ground pepper
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp chinese Shaoxing wine
Gravy sauce seasoning:
1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1.5 tsp sugar
2 tsp corn flour with 4 tbsp water mixed well (thickening agent)
2 tbsp goji (wolfberries), washed
- Wash the cabbage leaves and place them in the steamer to cook at medium fire for 5-6 minutes. Once the cabbage is soft enough to roll, off the fire and remove them from the steamer. Place them in cool water to stop the cooking.
- In large mixing bowl, add minced pork, finely grated ginger, finely chopped shiitake mushroom, grated carrots and the fried shallots in. Add in the marinate ingredients in as well. Toss and mix everything together till well combined. I let the whole mixture marinate for 30 minutes.
- When you are ready to wrap, place one of the napa leaf on a clean working area. Scoop about 2 tbsp worth of meat mixture on the side of the leaf closer to the stalk.
- Roll in the leaf and tugging in the sides as you roll in, making sure the end of the leaf is tugged underneath at the end of rolling.
- Repeat the wrapping till all the cabbage leaves are used up.
- Carefully place the rolled cabbage on to a plate and into a steamer at medium low fire. Steam at medium fire for a good 10-12 minutes.
- Once cooked, leave them inside the steamer while you work on the gravy sauce.
- On a sauce pot, add 1 tsp cooking oil and the minced garlic, cook till fragrant. Add in all the rest of the sauce seasoning and cook till thicken and bubbly.
- Drizzle the sauce gravy over the steamed cabbage rolls. Sprinkle the goji berries over the rolls while it is still hot. Serve the dish hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!
(For more detail. hop over to my FaceBook HoneyBeeSweets Kitchen to see the step by step video)
Steamed and lesser oil, this dish is suitable for people of all ages. The level of saltiness and sugar used can be adjusted to your liking.
You can see the packed full meaty filling in the roll. Still juicy and tender. And the goji berries gives a hint of sweetness to the dish.
It is such a lovely dish to present to impress your guests too. Plus napa cabbage has a cooling effect, so it is good when you serve it when you feel your body is feeling heavy.
Do try it out and let me know how you like it! Happy cooking all. ;)