For the past weeks, I have been busy unpacking my stuff that was shipped back from California. I still have quite a bit to go, but now I have to start packing for my coming trip back to California this weekend. :P All these unpacking and packing is driving me up the walls! But I tell myself, it is actually a good break for me to go back Bay Area for a week and not think about the overloading stuff I have to do. :P Furthermore, it's Summer in Sunshine California! Which means nicer weather and lots and lots of fresh produce and fruits, can't wait! ;) There are loads of stuff I want to do while I am back in CA, so hopefully I can make the best out of the short stay there. Will keep you all posted. :)
A couple days back, I decided to make a cake with one of my favorite ingredient, Peanut Butter. Yum!! I kicked it up a notch by adding in chocolate chips to the cake and coat it with creamy peanut butter frosting. Double yum yum!! :)
I love, yes, I love the creamy peanut butter frosting. Topped over the peanut flavored cake is just bursting with peanut heaven! Lol! Although I do have to modify the cake recipe a little to make the cake more moist and softer. :P
I made an 6 inch mini cake too besides the cupcakes and also frost it with the peanut butter frosting. In the end, I find the mini cake is better in texture verses the cupcakes! Perhaps lesser "exposure" to heat, so softer? If you are a peanut butter lover like me, check out the recipe! Do note that I used a peanut butter brand from Kirkland (Costco brand) which is Organic and no sugar added. It is super yummy with genuine peanut flavor. But if you do not mind, Skippy or Jif will still do the trick...., hey it rhythms, hahaha!
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cake with Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting:
150g butter, room temperature
180g smooth peanut butter
120g light brown sugar
240g self rising flour
100g semisweet chocolate chips
Ingredients for Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting:
1/2 cup butter, room temp
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar (more if you have a sweet tooth)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- To make cake: In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, peanut butter and brown sugar together till it is creamy and the sugar has melted in, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add egg one at a time and beat well. Add vanilla and combine.
- Alternating 1/4 portion flour and 1/3 buttermilk into the egg mixture and stir well after each addition, until everything has been added in.
- Lastly add in the chocolate chips and stir well.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease baking pans if using or line muffin tins with paper cups.
- Pour batter into baking pans / muffin tins and bake for 25 to 30 minutes till the tester comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
- To make the frosting: Cream together the butter, peanut butter and confectioner's sugar together till everything is well combined. Add vanilla extract and stir well. Set aside until needed.
- After the cake is baked and cooled completely, spread a tablespoon amount on each muffin and about 1 cup amount on the 6" cake if baking that size.
Okay, its me...I took a bite even before I can finish taking a picture of the slice of cake! But it's good! Hahaha..no regrets on that bite for sure. :P If you're "nuts" over peanut butter like me...give this a try...it'll delight your afternoon snack time in a yummy nutty way, lol! Okay, have to get going and finish my packing before I run out of time! Have fun and happy baking all!